Join Us in July - Register Today!

My Secret Chamois Cream Alternative

I was starting to make a list of things to not forget to pack and I suddenly remembered CHAMOIS CREAM.

For very long bike rides I use a cheap alternative to chamois cream. I buy Boudreaux’s Butt Paste. It’s a diaper rash cream; and in my opinion, as a mother of 2, it’s the best on the market. You can get a tube for $5-6 at pretty much any store (Walmart, grocery store, Target, etc.).

10 Replies

Brian Wallenburg, June 27, 2016 at 4:13 pm

Interesting… Curious if you’ve compared it to the chamois creams that are on the market? as in tried them both, not just compared the ingredients? Also, are you using this as preventative medicine or on an already festering saddle sore?

Jacqui, June 29, 2016 at 12:05 am

It works as both a preventative and treatment on a saddle sore.

KenH, June 29, 2016 at 7:59 am

I’ve used it along with Bag Balm to treat a saddle sore and the combination got me back on the road in less than a week. All those mothers who praise it, and there are TONS of them, know what they are talking about. The only critique I would offer is that the purpose of the various chamois creams is to provide a skin lubricant to prevent the chaffing that leads to saddle sores whereas Boudreaux’s is intended to promote healing in damaged skin. So I’m not sure it is the optimum choice for preventing saddle sores but if it works for Jacqui then maybe it is good enough.

Brian Wallenburg, June 29, 2016 at 8:45 am

KenH, you summarized what I was thinking. I checked the ingredients to see how much lubrication, looked like it was more of a barrier. But I agree, use whatever works, saddle sores are no fun!

T. Gap Woo, June 30, 2016 at 3:11 pm

I make my own PREVENTATIVE mixture. I melt an 8 ounce jar of Shea Butter, an 8 ounce jar of cocoa butter and a 4 ounce bottle of pure aloe vera gel into a liquid in the microwave. Before everything cools down, I dump everything into a bowl and blend the liquids together. I remelt the mixture and then pour it into ointment jars. (Daddy Woo was a pharmacist and had plenty of those jars left over when he closed the pharmacy.) Once the liquid cools and solidifies, I have enough to last many months of riding. Apply this every morning before riding and as needed throughout the day. The resulting product provides enough lubrication to prevent saddle sores. Of course, the best prevention is to keep dry and change underwear as often as needed.

I’ve never suffered from saddle sores, but Mrs. Woo swears by Desitin ointment as a cure if needed. She used it when the Little Woo’s were in diapers and still uses it on Granddaughter Woo’s tender tushie.

See you along the I-O-Way in a few weeks!

Jacqui, July 1, 2016 at 9:50 pm

That’s a GREAT idea!

Houdini, July 7, 2016 at 5:25 pm

vaseline. works great. lasts longer and is more water/sweat resistant than chamois cream. It’s available everywhere and cheap.

LawnchairMan, July 9, 2016 at 10:52 pm

My secret alternative is my recumbent. Two inch foam pad makes the need for Chamois Buttr a thing of the past. Try a ‘bent: you won’t go back!

LawnchairMan, July 9, 2016 at 10:52 pm

My secret alternative is my recumbent. Two inch foam pad makes the need for Chamois Buttr a thing of the past. Try a ‘bent: you won’t go back!

LawnchairMan, July 9, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Sorry for the double post.

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLIV – 2016’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters