Join Us in July - Register Today!

2017 Overnight Towns Guess

I know this thread will get replaced when the 2017 topic is created but with registration opening in 3 weeks, why not.

My guess, a northern route but a little further south then the last northern route that got so close to Minnesota. A couple of larger towns also since last year so many were small.

Hawarden
Cherokee
Lake City
Ames
Toledo
Waterloo
Manchester
Dubuque

137 Replies

Ken Reed, December 18, 2016 at 1:03 pm

Does anyone remember any hints in last year’s logo that came to be correct?

Amanda, December 19, 2016 at 5:31 am

The only hint that I can think of is you needed a nap after a day of those crazy hills!

Ken Reed, December 19, 2016 at 8:02 am

Well, that’s factually accurate. :)

KenH, December 19, 2016 at 9:26 am

After all the riding was done I saw nothing specific that I could see hints for in the logo. The year before TJ did say that the logo had some hints. This year and next year he has said nothing of the kind. There may be hints, there may not. I think the safe money is on a north or central route although I went with my heart and went diagonal for my official guess. Don’t follow me, I haven’t been right on so much as a single town yet!

I guess you could say that the hammock and supposed “restful” theme of this year’s logo was a reverse psychology kind of hint. I found the unrelenting hills of this years ride to be anything but restful. TJ did make a big deal about us all deserving (one suspects he meant needing!!) a rest when the logo was announced. So that generally told us that it would be difficult route in some respects and while a hilly southern route would fit that criteria it was not much of a hint since we were all sure a hilly southern route was overdue on the RAGBRAI dance card.

Ken Reed, December 19, 2016 at 10:04 am

See, I guess I’ve been going back and forth on this one. I’m kind of a nerd when it comes to the guessing the route. I googled “RAGBRAI Host 2017” and got a few hints. Based on those hints, I think I have a puncher’s chance of figuring out a few stops along the way. I think I’m going with a central route this year. Missouri Valley was asked by RAGBRAI to apply from what I’ve ready and they’ve moved their county fair to accommodate it. Plus, 2008 was the last time they hosted. So, I think it’s pretty safe money to bet on Missouri Valley as the start town. I’d be a little surprised if this wasn’t the case. So, here’s my official route prediction:

Saturday: Missouri Valley – See above.

Sunday: Atlantic – No real rationale here with this one. It was either this or Harlan. Bold Predication on pass through: Marne.

Monday: Adel – It may be a long day going into Adel but I’ve been picking Adel for a few years now so I figure that I’ll keep riding this horse. (This will also be the Karras Loop day)

Tuesday: Ames – I’ve heard some rumblings about Ames and I have a hunch. (Gravel Loop Day)

Wednesday: Tama – According to the local paper, they want to be an overnight and it fits in with the central theme.

Thursday: Marion – So, no real rationale here. If we go here, they will hopefully bring us in on the NW side of town to try to avoid the Cedar Rapids traffic.

Friday: Maquoketa: No real rationale here other than it’s been a while.

Saturday: Camanche: BRAND NEW TOWN. Camanche really wants to be the end town. There is also a festival going on the same weekend that they would like RAGBRAI to be a part of.

Well, there you go. I could be way off and we go very north. We shall see next month.

Amanda, December 26, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Heard another rumor that the start town will be Orange City…

Ken Reed, December 26, 2016 at 7:10 pm

I just can’t see Orange City as the start town. I feel it’s too far from river.

Amanda, December 27, 2016 at 7:12 am

I would say it’s about the same as LeMars – distance wise. Unless people dipped into the Floyd. I believe the Floyd empties into the Big Sioux which empties into the Missouri. Orange City is roughly 22 miles from the Bog Sioux by Hawarden. And LeMars is about 21 miles to the Big Sioux by Akron. I would think Orange City has a chance, just like LeMars did. Although, LeMars is the Ice Cream capitol of the World and Orange City has Dutch pastries so I guess it depends on what TJ likes more! LOL

Ken Reed, December 27, 2016 at 9:46 am

I’ve also heard some rumors about Spencer, so that would line up with that theory. I’m still not convinced it will start there but it will be a blast regardless.

jwsknk, December 27, 2016 at 10:28 am

How much is Orange City like Pella? Once midnight Saturday/Sunday hit would they expect everything closed down and everyone home in bed? After all, its now Sunday. How flexible will they be about doing business on Sunday? last time through there was a little more than the time before, but as a beginning host town will it all be too much for them to handle? or do we all just go over to Alton? , I think I know a place there

Ken Reed, December 27, 2016 at 1:12 pm

From my experience, Orange City was worse than Pella. I’m hoping that *if* Orange City gets the first night, RAGBRAI will get them to have some kind of understanding.

Amanda, December 27, 2016 at 2:56 pm

That is a good question. I am not sure if they expect everyone to go to their tents at midnight.They are willing to experience new things so maybe! Doesn’t the band/beer garden usually close down about 12? Then the crowd moves to a bar? The crowd might have to move over to Alton after midnight.

I have no idea where RAGBRAI will start. Like I said, it was a rumor. I also heard Trump was elected President. I think that is a rumor too. LOL

jwsknk, December 28, 2016 at 12:54 pm

possible routes in & out of Ames

jwsknk, December 28, 2016 at 12:56 pm

Ames detail, not that I've heard anything, actuallI think 2018 would be better for Ames

jwsknk, December 28, 2016 at 1:00 pm

In details, not that I’ve heard anything, I think 2018 would be better to get some of the construction projects done. Like paving to Gilbert. 2 big jobs on campus. Around Jack Trice Stadium.
in details

Viewing 15 replies - 61 through 75 (of 137 total)

The forum ‘RAGBRAI XLV – 2017’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Categories

RAGBRAI L – 2023

RAGBRAI XLIX – 2022

RAGBRAI XLVIII – 2021

Training

Gatherings & Meetings

Lost and Found

Miscellaneous

Clubs, Teams & Charters